Jun 20, 2014

International Surfing Day - I Covet Thee

Here's my Instagram feed reminding me I'm inside.
Today is International Surfing Day and where am I? Well I WAS half-way there. I made it into a bikini this morning! Covered myself in sunscreen. Packed my bag. And yet I'm sitting in my living room, my tacky sunscreened skin making me beach-yearning, I don't know where it all went wrong. The only consolation is that today's surf report is "poor" and "flat" and trust me I spent 20 minutes watching and re-watching Surfline's camera stream to confirm. Alas, tomorrow is another day to surf and enjoy. 

Speaking of surfing... look at this "cool surf thing" sent by my very own Not another Plain Jane, (thanks Bea). Currently I shlep my surf stuff in a duffle or.... I'm going to try a traveling backpack next time. Anyways, the point is that after surfing I stick my wet wetsuit into a plastic bag then back into the same bag along with all my other accoutrements, it can get a little messy and sandy. Well the thoughtful designers at Brooklyn-based Baggu, in collaboration with Pilgrim Surf, and Supply have designed a bag specifically for this; Baggu Wetsuit Bag, ($120.00). My first thought was, "holy cow this bag is huge, you could fit a human in it!" Exactly. Besides the technical details like the fact that the bag is made of tough, water-resistant 18 oz vinyl and has welded seams, you can literally step inside the bag to take off your wetsuit, zip it closed and you're good to go. It's a creative touch. You don't have to worry about your wetsuit dripping through and all over you or your car. You don't have to worry about water getting in either. The external front pocket provides additional storage for the things you want to keep dry like sunscreens, snacks, and seashells. In addition the bag comes with both hand and shoulder straps. I think the idea is great, and apparently so does everyone else because it is sold out everywhere. Do I want one.... duh... but... I do think it is a little oversized. I ride the subway, I have to walk up and down stairs, it's not like I'm just sticking it in the back of car, it gets cumbersome and heavy. Every time I head out to the beach I am envious of the dudes carrying these minimal backpacks while I'm dragging this huge suitcase, (hence the backpack trial). I'd really love if Baggu did a city-version with slightly smaller dimensions or maybe even in a backpack silhouette? Ooo with side straps for my towel, and clips for my booties? Holla' at your girl Baggu!
Baggu Wetsuit Bag

No comments:

Post a Comment